Preventing swine flu from spreading –
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze.
- You can also use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
Self care tips regarding swine flu –
- Avoid crowded places
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Stay home from work or school if you are sick.
- Consult a doctor immediately when in doubt about your symptoms.
What is H1N1?
The present outbreak in humans, known as "swine flu", is due to a new strain of influenza A virus subtype H1N1 that contained genes most closely related to swine influenza. The origin of this new strain is unknown. However, the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) reports that this strain has not been isolated in pigs, hence can be transmitted from human to human and cause the normal symptoms of influenza.